Updated on January 23rd, 2021
The Washington vehicle or vessel bill of sale form is a concrete piece of confirmation documenting the transfer of a vehicle and/or vessel in exchange for a monetary payment. This form is required to subsequently transfer the title of the vehicle/vessel and register within the state of Washington. Washington State provides an official form for use that contains compulsory information identifying characteristics of the vehicle/vessel such as the year, make, model, and vehicle (or hull) identification number, as well as the seller and buyer information, sales price, and accompanying signatures.
How to Register a Vehicle
Keep in mind, as the seller of the vehicle, you will want to file a Report of Sale either online or at your nearest local Washington State Department of Licensing Office within 5 days of the sale to protect yourself from any possible exposure. Filing after 5 days will not incur any fee, but failing to file may leave you open to potential liability based on any criminal or civil activity the buyer may commit.
Washington State law stipulates that within 15 days of vehicle transfer, the buyer must transfer the title to avoid a penalty fee. This fee is $50 upon the event of the transfer occurring on the 16th day, with a daily fee thereafter of $2 per day with a limiting cap of $125.
The buyer will need to attend a local Washington State Department of Licensing Office with the following paperwork:
- Vehicle title signed by both the seller(s) and buyer(s) and completed Odometer Disclosure section (RCW 46.12.665).
- Completed Vehicle Title Application (TD-420-065), either signed with the assistance of an official public notary or left blank to sign in the presence of a licensing agent at the time of submission.
- Filled out vehicle bill of sale.
- Applicable fees consisting of $37.50 for a title transfer as well as the tax on the cost of the vehicle and any associated registration fees.
How to Register a Vessel
All vessels in the state of Washington must be registered with the DOL (Department of Licensing). New owners have 15 days from the time of acquisition to register their boat when purchased within the state of Washington. Be sure to have the materials listed below available for processing:
- Proof of Ownership (a signed over title and bill of sale)
- A completed and notarized Vessel Title Application (Form TD-420-289).
- Confirmation that all sales taxes on the vessel have been satisfied. (If you do not have valid confirmation of paid sales taxes, you may be liable to pay a use tax fee. For more information, visit the use tax page of the DOL’s website.)
- Payment for any costs associated with the registration process (must be paid with check or money order).
(You may either bring or mail the requirements listed above to an office location of your choice.)
How to Write
Step 1 – Download in Adobe PDF.
Step 2 – Vehicle/Vessel Information – Provide the following info pertaining to the vehicle or vessel being sold:
- Check the box depending on whether the object being sold is a “Vehicle” or “Vessel”.
- License Plate/Registration Number
- Vehicle or Hull Identification Number
- Date of Sale
- Sale Price
Step 3 – Seller Information – Have the seller complete the following on the form:
- Seller(s) Name(s)
- Street Address
- Zip Code
Step 4 – Buyer Information – Fill in the portion for the buyer’s information:
- Buyer(s) Name(s)
- Street Address
- Zip Code
- Buyer/Seller Relationship (select ‘Yes’ only if the buyer is an immediate family member of the seller)
Step 5 – Signature Section – Collect signatures from all sellers and buyers involved in the sale.