Bill of Sale Types
Motor Vehicle (DMV) Bill of Sale Form – Exercised in the event of a sale of a motor vehicle.
Download: Adobe PDF
Boat (Vessel) Bill of Sale Form – Establishes ownership upon the completion of the transaction for a boat.
Download: Adobe PDF
Firearm (Gun) Bill of Sale Form – Drafted to issue exchange of ownership when selling a firearm.
Vehicle Registration Forms
- A finalized Bill of Sale and/or Vehicle Price Certification with reassigned title accompanied by a proof of purchase price.
- Completed and executed Vehicle Registration Application (VSA-14) or Application for Certificate of Title and Registration (VSA 17A), depending on the need for your situation.
- Active proof of automobile insurance or sufficient funds to procure the uninsured motorist fee.
- An Emissions Inspection document indicating the passing of a test according to the state requirements.
- A valid Virginia State driver’s license or identification card (or federally issued photo ID).
- Proof of residency
- Payment for all registration and titling fees
Boat (Vessel) Registration Forms
- A completed and endorsed Virginia Application for Watercraft Certificate of Title and Certificate of Number (BRT-001)
- Articles proving ownership via either:
- A filled and signed Bill of Sale accompanied by a Virginia Notification of Change in Status of a Numbered Vessel (Form BRT-010) and prior registration should the vessel be previously registered but holds no title.
- A manufacturer’s certificate of origin in the case it is a new boat.
- A transferred title
- Valid payment for all taxes and fees.
Firearm Registration Forms
The State of Virginia does not mandate registration of firearms purchased in-state unless the weapon is deemed fully-automatic. It is not necessary to get hold of a permit to buy a gun, and the state does not require background checks for guns purchased used from a private seller. If a resident would like to apply for a concealed carry permit, the following must be submitted for consideration:
- A finalized Virginia Application for Concealed Handgun Permit (Form SP-248)
- Certification of completion of an acceptable firearm or hunter safety course.
- Federally-issued or state-issued photo identification.
- A form of payment to cover all necessary fees.