Updated on January 18th, 2021
The Alaska DMV bill of sale form is not enforced by law in the state of Alaska, nor does it solidify the transfer of ownership. It can rather be seen as an acknowledgment that a sale occurred between the two parties involved. Think of it as an extra precaution in case of a possible conflict. The document will contain concrete evidence such as vehicle data, seller and buyer info, and signatures that could potentially prove the existence of a transaction. (It is also suggested that the seller attach a Notice of Transfer Pending to the vehicle’s title which should then be delivered to the DMV.)
How to Register a Vehicle
Appear in person to one of Alaska’s certified Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) locations and submit the obligatory paperwork listed below:
- Title that has been transferred to you from the previous owner (must be signed by transferor).
- A filled out and signed copy of the Alaska Vehicle Transaction Application.
- Last registration of the vehicle.
- VIN verification from a certified inspector.
- All vehicles less than 10 years old must provide an Odometer Disclosure Statement if there is no room to record on the title.
- If applicable, the person registering the vehicle must provide a lien release from the previous lienholder.
- If registering the vehicle for another person, you must provide a notarized power of attorney contract that grants you permission to act on the behalf of the individual, specific to registering a vehicle.
- Monies necessary to satisfy any required payments.
How to Write
Step 1 – Download in Adobe PDF.
Step 2 – Vehicle Description – Insert the following vehicle information needed:
- Odometer reading
- Seller registration #
- Answer “Yes” or “No” if you have previously filed an application for the title of this vehicle?
Step 3 – Seller/Buyer Information – Carefully enter the correct information that corresponds with each space:
- Seller’s Full Name
- Buyer’s Full Name
- City State
Step 4 – Sale and Purchase Details – Just below the seller/buyer section, you will be requested to write the following:
- Sum of the Vehicle (numerically, in dollars)
- If the vehicle was gifted, you are instructed to check the box and provide the relationship between the gifter and giftee (e.g. parent, spouse, friend).
Step 5 – Buyer/Seller Signatures – Both Parties must then sign the document and provide the date of signature to make the contract official.
Step 6 – As you may notice, there is a duplicate form below. Complete the secondary form as you did the first and cut along the indicated line. Now both parties will have an original copy of the document for their files.