The South Carolina bill of sale form creates an authenticating document to verify, in writing, the events leading up to the exchange of a property item for a monetary amount. This contract functions as certification attesting to the change in ownership of a piece of property upon agreement and endorsement. It can additionally be used down the line as evidence of ownership to eventually register with the governing agencies of the state of South Carolina.
Bill of Sale Types
Motor Vehicle (DMV) Bill of Sale Form – To be utilized when selling or buying a motor vehicle.
Download: Adobe PDF
Boat (Vessel) Bill of Sale Form – Authorizes the transfer of a vessel for a predetermined consideration amount.
Download: Adobe PDF
Firearm (Gun) Bill of Sale Form – Declares pertinent information surrounding the sale of a firearm.
Download: Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word (.docx)
Vehicle Registration Forms
- A finalized bill of sale form
- A completed South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles Title Application (form SCDMV 400)
- The transferred vehicle title with the buyer, seller, and purchase price information, along with corroborating endorsements and accurate odometer reading.
- Proof of active South Carolina automobile insurance
- Evidence of paid county vehicle tax
- Acceptable form of payment for4 all South Carolina Title and Registration Fees.
Boat (Vessel) Registration Forms
- A notarized bill of sale form
- A completed and finalized Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application (Form SCDNR BTR-1)
- Reassigned vessel title
- Compensation for all registration/titling fees and taxes
Firearm Registration Forms
South Carolina does not obligate individuals residing in the state to register firearms of any type. Gun owners will not need to gain any license or permit to purchase but must undergo a standard background check to buy from a federally licensed dealer. Open carry of long guns are allowed in warranted areas, but the carry of a handgun, openly or concealed, will require a Concealed Weapon Permit. Applicants may request a permit by mail with the following obtained materials:
- A filled-out South Carolina Concealed Weapon Permit Application (Form R-078) with a signature from an accepted firearms safety instructor.
- A completed South Carolina Concealed Weapon Permit Instructor Student Checklist (Rev-09/17)
- Certification proving successful passing of a firearms safety program.
- A photocopy of the applicant’s South Carolina driver’s license or photo ID.
- Two fingerprint identification cards
- Proper payment for all associated fees.