The North Dakota DMV bill of sale form is a vital instrument illustrating in writing the purchase and transfer of a vehicle from one individual to another. This filing includes significant factors such as vehicle model, type, weight, vehicle identification number, seller and buyer information as well as vehicle purchase price. The state of North Dakota does not obligate you to obtain a bill of sale to title and register your vehicle. It can be used as a valid form to prove ownership and can also be utilized when filing taxes.
How to Register a Vehicle
Gather the following necessary documentation to register your vehicle and attend your closet North Dakota Department of Transportation Office:
- A fully-filled out North Dakota Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Vehicle (Form SFN 2872).
- Title to vehicle completed and signed-over to the buyer. If the vehicle is financed, you must come prepared with name, address, and loan account number of the lienholder. If the vehicle was previously registered in another state, you will need to present the out-of-state registration.
- Proper identification via either a valid driver’s license, state ID, or official documentation proving legal identity.
- For all new vehicles, a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin must be provided, along with an Odometer Disclosure Statement signed by both the dealer and buyer of the vehicle.
- Monies to cover all fees and associated taxes, including the 5% excise tax.
How to Write
Step 1 – Download in Adobe PDF.
Step 2 – Buyer Information – Record all information on the form about the buyer:
- Buyer’s Full Name
- Driver’s License or FEIN (check the appropriate box according to how you plan to tile and register the vehicle. Driver’s License if you will title as an individual and FEIN if you plan to title under a business name.)
- Buyer’s Telephone Number
- Buyer’s Mailing Address
- Zip Code
Step 3 – Vehicle Information – Input the following requested information for the vehicle as follows:
- Body Style
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Fuel Type
- Selling Price
- Date of Sale
Step 4 – Complete the portion of the form regarding the seller’s information as follows:
- Seller’s Legal Name
- Seller’s Telephone Number
- Seller’s Mailing Address
- Zip Code
- Notate if there are any additional comments on the sale of the vehicle.
- Notate if there are any exceptions to seller’s ownership or if there are any liens or encumbrances.
- Notate if there are any claims on the vehicle other than the seller.
- If applicable, include why a title cannot be produced for the buyer.
Step 5 – Under the supervision of an Authorized Notary, finish the form with all required signatures and Notary Acknowledgment.