Updated on January 23rd, 2021
The Vermont DMV bill of sale form is the documentation necessary to authenticate the sale of a vehicle or vessel by recording the transaction taking place in the state of Vermont. The form itself includes vital information on the vehicle/vessel being exchanged such as the sales price, seller and buyer information as well as signatures upon agreement. This is an official form for the state of Vermont that includes an accompanying odometer disclosure statement, both of which are required to procure the transfer of title and registration of the vehicle.
How to Register a Vehicle
Visit your nearest Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles with the following forms and filings:
- Vehicle title complete with any and all owners’ signatures along with the buyer’s name printed on the space labeled ‘transferred to’.
- Filled-out bill of sale containing all requested data and signatures.
- Accompanying odometer disclosure form (in accordance with 23 V.S.A. § 1704a).
- Vermont Registration, Tax, and Title Application completed and signed.
- Proof of automobile insurance.
- VIN verification (if the vehicle is obtained from a previous owner with an out-of-state title).
- Applicable state fees.
How to Register a Boat
The Vermont DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) handles the titling and registration process of all eligible watercraft. Visit a branch near you and have the following documents on hand:
How to Write
Step 1 – Download in Adobe PDF.
Step 2 – Seller Name(s) – Input the printed name of the seller(s) or company in the first row.
Step 3 – Vehicle or Vessel Information – Enter the following specifics about the vehicle:
- Body/Hull type
- Length in feet and inches (if vessel)
- VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) or HIN (Hull Identification Number)
- Odometer Reading (in miles, kilometers, or hours)
Step 4 – Buyer(s) Name(s)/Sale price – Complete the remainder of the info on the buyer and sale price of the vehicle:
- Owner(s) Printed Name(s)
- Date of Sale
- Sale Price
Step 5 – If the vehicle is considered salvage, rebuilt salvage, or totaled, you will need to indicate accordingly by checking the appropriate box. Once completed, the purchaser must sign and date the below selection and salvage statement. If none of these cases apply to the vehicle involved in the transfer, simply move on to Step 6.
Step 6 – Seller(s)/Buyer(s) Information and Signatures – Fill in the following information:
- Seller(s) Signature(s)
- Seller’s Address
- Seller’s Phone Number
- Buyers(s) Signature(s)
- Buyer’s Address
- Buyer’s Phone Number and Email