The Rhode Island DMV bill of sale for a motor vehicle, trailer, or boat is a physical record of the significant characteristics entailed in the exchange of a vehicle for a monetary amount. It documents vital information referring to the buyer, seller, and vehicle, and conveys an agreement and transfer for consideration between the two involved individuals. Within the state of Rhode Island, a bill of sale is a mandatory necessity to the titling and registration process, making it all the more crucial to gather before the vehicle changes possession.
How to Register a Vehicle
Visit your nearest Rhode Island DMV facility along with the standard following arranged materials:
For vehicles built in the year 2000 or earlier:
- You must supply evidence of the previous owner, either appearing at the DMV with the owner(s) or furnish a notarized signature of the previous owners on the Application for Registration and Title.
- You are required to produce a credible VIN check report on the vehicle. This can be obtained at your nearest police department location.
How to Register a Vessel
To legally employ a vessel while residing on waters located within the state of Rhode Island, the boat must have requisite registration with the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management. All boats propelled by a motor or sail must be registered, other than the following individual cases:
- Vessels to be utilized in the state for an amount of time less than 9o successive days, that have current registration in another state or country.
- Vessels exclusively used for racing purposes.
- Emergency lifeboats.
- Passenger ferries.
- Vessels retained by a state or federal government entity.
As a separate obligation, any boat propelled by motor or sail that is to be used in Rhode Island, as its prime location, is required to be titled by the state governing authorities. The following watercraft are exceptions to this mandate:
- Boats with a total length of 14 feet or fewer.
- Boats registered and/or titled in another state or county to be used for 90 consecutive days or fewer.
- Emergency lifeboats.
To properly apply for registration and/or title, obtain the following necessary materials for submission as follows:
You can then send the filings in a stamped envelope to the Rhode Island DEM location as follows:
Department of Environmental Management
235 Promenade St.
Providence, RI 02908
How to Write
Step 1 – Download in Adobe PDF.
Step 2 – Vehicle Information – Enter the relevant details of the vehicle involved in the sale:
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Odometer Reading
- Seller Registration Number
- Gross Vehicle Weight
Step 3 – Insert a checkmark into the box if you have already filed a title application for this vehicle previously.
Step 4 – Seller/Buyer Information – Submit the corresponding information for both the buyer and seller of the automobile:
- Seller’s Full Name
- Seller’s Street Address
- Buyer’s Full Name
- Buyer’s Street Address
Step 5 – Purchase Information – Input the essential information regarding the sale of the vehicle:
- Sale Price
- If the sale was a gift, include relationship to the seller.
Step 6 – Finalize the form with endorsements from the seller and the buyer and include the date next to each signature.
Step 7 – Duplicate the information recorded in the first portion of the form onto the bottom half below the dotted line to secure a second copy for each individual involved in the agreement.